Theme: Fear

The topic of fear comes up on occasion within the podcast discussions. Here are a few podcast episodes where it’s discussed.

59. Kasturi Torchia

[18:37] Parkour and Esprit Concrete method to overcome fear
It’s not supposed to be judgmental. It’s not supposed to be a criticism of oneself or a promise of this eternal answer and solution to everything. It’s supposed to be teaching people how to normalize their anxiety and their fear to realize they’re never going to be fearless . They’re never going to be unanxious, if that’s even a word, but they may be more comfortable with owning it, translating it, and then putting it out there again in a different format that hopefully they are happy with and we do that through the objects.

[41:17] Detachment to get past fear at high levels of parkour
Whether you’re doing it for fun or you’re doing it for competition, it’s important to train yourself for what happens when things go wrong and there’s a high level of detachment from emotion and avoidance that can take place to be good at Parkour because there’s just so much fear around it.

[46:13] Fear about coaching
…that balance between guiding somebody to learn how they can make their own decisions but also being brave enough and strong enough to contain the fear that you may have because there are certain things not on that scale obviously, but there are certain mistakes and certain areas that people just have to make and if you’re saving them all the time or you’re stopping them from doing that, they’re not going to grow in the same way and I learnt, God, so much from that experience that, that fills me with fear every time I teach.

65. Rebecca Brightly

[36:31] Women training discussing fear
I’ve been training a lot with women this summer not exclusively but just more because I found some women that I really like training with. The way we train together is just we do a lot more talking; talking through our mental process, talking through a fears .

[38:28] How men and women deal with fear differently
As I’ve gotten closer to training with people who do these things that I think are really scary, I will occasionally hear them say aloud, “I am afraid ,” but I don’t necessarily notice a change on their face or a change in their body language. I believe them when they say they’re afraid but I can’t see it, I can’t read it. I can’t tell. I’m thinking to myself now as I train with women more, they can say that they’re afraid but what is it like if they can show it in their body and they’re like, “Whoo. Whoo! This is really scary . I’m really freaked out right now. Okay. I’m going to do my breathing.”

[55:56] Fear, avoidance, mental game
In terms of mental game, people in Parkour really focus on the physical aspect, the physical aspect, the physical aspect, like, how do I bail, what do I do, what are my progressions, but I think a lot of people have other mental hang ups that they don’t explore, like other reasons. I wrote an Instagram post recently about exploring fear of doing rail precisions. I had just recently discovered that I’m not simply scared of falling, I don’t even practice them at home very often on my rail trainers. Eventually, I had to ask myself, why am I avoiding this, because it is not scary to practice real precisions on a real trainer, or not for me right now anyway. I had asked myself, why am I avoiding this, because I really like it when I can do them. That feels really good. The answer was, because I was afraid of being bad at that. I had sort of put like a lot of pressure on myself just unwittingly.

[58:38] Fear and other mental hang-ups
The rhetorical or the question I want people to consider is what sort of mental hang ups do you have that might be causing you to avoid working on something that you’ve considered working on? Is it really just that you’re scared of it? Really, you’re just physically scared of it? Is that the only reason? There’s some other sort of excuse you have in your head where you’re like, “Yeah, I’m afraid of looking bad,” or that’s a movement, I don’t know. I don’t actually know maybe men think, “Oh, I don’t want to work on flow. It feels girly,” or something like that.

79. Bryan Riggins

[32:55] How adults react to fear
One day I just like, I was, “Hey, Brandee, what do you think something I should work on?” She’s like, “You should start working on challenges of the high like bar challenges and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.” So that was the turning point for me, it was like, “Okay, there’s something here that I can start working with and playing around with.” And I was also shadowing those classes at the time, so I was teaching a lot of young kids and kind of seeing how they react to fear on a really visceral level. I think adults have all these pieces that if they kind of started to put into place, where they can just be like, “I’m not afraid, it’s okay, I’m not at risk.”

[12:50] We all have fear
There’s a ton of things. I mean, I think that fear has a place always. I think that if people think that it doesn’t exist or that they don’t have it, they’re lying to themselves. I still have it, even with descents that I’ve done.

[13:46] Lessons from fear
And I was like not… I felt afraid, I felt totally scared. And I think that there’s a lot of different lessons, especially with fear . I think you can think more about… I think what happens is, when people are at that height and they’re analyzing challenge, and they’re looking at what they can do and how they can overcome it and the fear that’s involved in it, they kind of get lost in all the background noise.

[18:38] Composing yourself
But for me, it’s about composure. It’s like, how can I get into this space? How can I look at this challenge at height that I know I’m capable of doing? Break it down into bite sized pieces, and then overcome that fear that comes up. And maybe it’s not fear , but it’s knowing for myself and to myself that I can do this challenge. And that there are things that people are capable of doing, and that they can do them. For me it’s like about, how can I inspire…