Practicing Reflection: A journey of small, daily steps

I’m inviting you to join me for a journey of small, daily steps.

I’ve prepared 60, daily posts designed as a journey of reflection for your new year. The final one will appear on March 1st. My hope is simply that these posts help you find tranquility as we head into 2021.

My intention is to show you how to develop the skill of personal, self-reflection.

There’s no catch. Everything is free. There’s no sales pitch at the end either. This is simply my gift to you.

This is designed to be simple. You simply read each one, and you’re done.

ɕ

The entire series is also available as a PDF. (on the linked page, above)

2 Likes

Thank you for very much for putting this together and sharing it. I’m currently on my own personal movement journey. Long story short, I attempted a larger goal only to realize that I have a lot of physical stuff that needs rehabilitation first. That led me to consider the physical changes, journaling for physical, journaling for mental, reflecting, and coincidentally(?) I found this pdf.

I’m on day 28, “How do I treat someone I don’t know? Your character show in how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” This was one of those that hit me right between the eyes.

When we develop a new habit, we are instituting some amount of change. Maybe it’s subtle, maybe it’s subtle but compounding like most movement changes are, maybe it’s more significant e.g. quitting addiction. The person on the other side of the journey - the newly minted marathoner, the sober person, the pain-free person is a stranger. Rather than argue semantics, consider that there is some degree of that “new you” or changed person or person as result of the change is, in effect, someone that you don’t know.

Depending on where I’m at holistically, I treat strangers with anything from deference to indifference, curiosity to concern. I believe I treat the new me the same way. Circling back, if I am indifferent or concerned about this stranger-new-me, what does that mean for change? for my physical rehabilitation? my journey?

I’m very good at navel-gazing or riding the turtles all the way down (both references to overthinking something without a result). This particular reflection gets a pin-up on the board as a reminder to be aware my bias to the new me. Once again, thank you for putting this out there.

edit for tagging: @craig

1 Like

You’re most welcome, and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Aside: If you haven’t already, if you go over to https://constantine.name and sign up for the daily email, the posts are currently running—I think day 33 just went today. So you can still get the rest of the experience dripped daily as I originally intended.

I do have the drip. I’m trying to balance the reflection with the days so I’ll catch up eventually.

1 Like

This blog post is tangential—it’s about changes and others perspectives, but it’s a riff off a wonderful S Pressfield post:

1 Like

We write notes, albeit more and more digital nowadays, to ourselves all the time e.g. reminders, calendar events, to-dos. I’ve been thinking about cues/triggers/prompts a lot lately as I’m trying to institute new behaviors and habits. However, I do not leave little notes to myself to change.

Some amount of recording(present) or touchstone(future) or memorabilia(past) is necessary to mark the way and this drip has reminded me, much like a to-do note, that I need to chunk the change prompts into something more actionable, more practice-able.

One of the things that I thought would be interesting (translation: fun thing that takes me away from the work) would be to write my own guest appearance at an interview.

Q: Tell me about how you started down this path? A: Blah, blah, blah

Q: What were some of the things that didn’t work for you along the way? A: o.O

and so forth. Fundamentally acknowledging the future hurdles, the struggles, the probable/potential failures and where I grew. While a great thought experiment, it really doesn’t leave me to being open to all the possibilities of the world. It’s a fixed way of thinking with a story that I live into. On the flip side, it does expose a lot of my personal biases.

I’ll start with the baby, actionable steps for now and see what comes up during my future reflections. Thank you so much for putting together the drip and prompting me and others to reflect and develop the habit of reflection.

1 Like