Lindsey Kleinberg: Experiencing nature, creating connection, and healing

Episode summary

Lindsey Kleinberg (250)
Lindsey Kleinberg

Lindsey Kleinberg advocates for nature play in the most important way; practicing what she preaches. She shares her experiences raising her family through alternative and nature education, and why it’s important to her. Lindsey describes the benefits home gardening, self-care, and how she approaches creating change. She discusses books, blogging, art, and what she hopes to achieve in her community.

Lindsey Kleinberg is an educator, artist, avid gardener, and nature play advocate. She is the founder of the Finding Place LV, a Reggio-inspired micro school whose mission is to reconnect kids with nature. In addition to her Masters degree, Lindsey is certified in many areas, including Nature-based outdoor education and School Garden Coordinator.

Highlight [0:00]

Lindsey (00:00:05):
So I’ve noticed a lot as well with like a journey of healing. That again, with the laws of traction and with healing yourself, just for the purpose of leading a more fulfilling life, there’s less chances for depression and anxiety and getting caught up in other people’s things and, and feeling the wounds that are not yours to feel and healing the ones that are not yours to heal. And when you’re really working on a, a personal journey, if you are making those steps for positive impact and change people around you, whether or not they will admit, they start to feel those things.

Intro [0:50]

Raising a family [2:08]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Ideas for raising family in a particular way
  • Intentional nature opportunities, affects on whole family
  • Strong foundations in nature and also values; planting seeds

Aha moments [9:19]

Craig (00:09:19):
So I don’t really know who listens to the show because like, it’s podcasting, it’s really hard to tell, but I suspect a lot of people who listen are, um, I’m going to say, like in a leadership position, I don’t mean like they’re, you know, in charge of a fortune 500 company, although if you are please hit the tip cup, however, the people who listen, they might be, um, a parkour instructor, or they might be a parent of their own, or they might, you know, be a team manager. Like there’s, they’re not like doing things all by themselves, in a bubble. And if they’re nodding along as I hope they are going, yeah. Like I I’m picking up what you’re laying down, Lindsey. Uh, I’m wondering, so I know you have a lot of experience in teaching and I’m wondering if there are things that you see that let’s call this a, a fire that light this fire within people.

Craig (00:10:08):
Like, is it, is it the first time they plant something and then it grows and then it like a pepper, you know, then they get to eat, like eat the scrutiny. The string beans, I guess, is a common one for kids to do. Right. Is it, is it the planting and the growing and creation of food or is it, you know, something more horticulture is like, what, what are the things that I’m going to say, light the muggles up to make them realize that there’s a whole another world out there that they could really be involved in.

Lindsey (00:10:35):
So that aha moment with, uh, I think that recently I was at the Rodale earth day on the farm and I was running events there. I was doing their activities. And there were a lot of adults who had brought their children. They were very excited and it was 35 degrees and 20 mile per hour winds. But we were planting seeds of fruiting plants. So we were planting seeds for watermelons and satin flowers. And no matter what is going on, I always take a moment to remind people. Um, I talked to the children and the parents at the same time, I I’ll look between both of them when I’m talking, like, remember these are organic seeds. So when you grow the fruit, you want to take some aside and clean the seeds and wash them and lay them out to dry. And then the parents said, and then, and then what? And I say, then you save them and next year you plant them. And I go, but, okay. So then what do they do? And then they grow into watermelons and they’re like, what? Like everything you need, you already have, like, you can buy one pepper and you could grow 40 pepper plants from one single pepper. Right. And each pepper plant, even if it’s a terrible year, we’ll get three peppers. And each pepper will have 30 to 50 seeds.

Continue reading…

Lindsey (00:12:17):
And then like, but then what do you do? You eat them? And then you clean the seeds and wash them. And then you plant them and they’re like, well, what happens if it doesn’t grow? Well, then nothing is different than if you didn’t do anything to begin with. And, and you could see for a second that the adults that even brought their children to this event at Rodale, which was like so fun, and you got to do so many different things and experience the farm in different ways. These are people who are already knowledgeable about organic. And they did not realize that we already have so many things at our fingertips that we’re just like throwing in the garbage. And I think that’s a really moving, it’s not even like putting the seed in the ground. It’s recognizing there’s a problem. And recognizing that there are solutions that nature just gives to us.

Craig (00:13:24):
Sometimes I just want to press stop just because it’s hard to like, yeah, I got nothing to add to that. Thank you. Yes, please. (/highlight) More of that also. I wish I could talk somebody into composting around here, but anyway, I do know, I know you compost. That’s not who I was referring to. Okay.

Education and nature [13:57]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Waldorf: Environment as teacher, play, storytelling, natural learning
  • Reggio-Emilio, community learning, art, intergenerational
  • Modern time schedules, replenishing, connecting with nature
  • Ability to see and then make changes; power of touching dirt
“ I think that the easiest change to do is literally get a pot of dirt and put it on your backslab. You don't have to have a yard. You can be anywhere. You can be in the city. You can be in the suburbs, you can be on a farm and still have a small plot that is just for your children, for them to grow and plant, or literally make a fairy garden or make put dinosaurs. If you don't like fairies, whatever, like a car pit, I don't care have a plot of dirt where you are in there and you are touching dirt every day. You don't have to be making something grow besides your imagination and your love for an appreciation for the earth. ”

Lindsey Kleinberg

Healing practices [22:13]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Family healing practices; Yoga, Lovely Little Lotus
  • Garden Buddha story
  • Simply standing still and being
  • Kids constantly outside, always working on something; part of healing
  • Grocery store example; addressing needs as humans
  • Therapuetic things: Crazy dance parties, painting, playing in mud
  • Art Therapy, nature, and alternative education all part of healing journey
  • Lindsey’s recent blog post, searching for ‘home’

Craig (00:22:12):
Um, so do you, do you, uh, somebody, like I was going to say, do you teach your children like those kinds of self, um, self healing practices intentionally? Or do they like soak it up? You know, let’s just what we do. You do see what I’m saying?

Lindsey (00:22:28):
Yeah. I, um, we actually do a lot of yoga with, uh, our friend, the lovely little Lotus. She has stuff online as well. Um, Liris is great with children. And, um, we, a few years ago, my son asked for a garden Buddha for his birthday. That’s all he wanted. And then both of my children chose where to put it in the garden. They picked the stump and just on their own, when the flowers bloomed, they picked one of each flower and placed it in the hands of the garden, Buddha. And, um, that could sound super corny to somebody like, oh, I don’t know. And I literally started to cry. I was like, oh, what are you? What are you guys doing? Well, we’re giving thanks for our garden. And then they both will stand very quietly on the rocks or they climb the Magnolia tree and they just sit there quietly, just standing, just because, and I mean, it’s not something that you never go past a school during recess and see children standing quietly on the grass, like during recess with their arms out and their hands open to the sky, like kids are screaming like crazy and running around and falling over and doing whatever.

Continue reading…

Lindsey (00:23:57):
I think that we, I mean, if you drive past my house, you normally see at least my children on a blanket laying in the yard every day. Sometimes they’re also eating. Sometimes they have crafts out sometimes they’re, I mean, it could be anything they’re normally painting or doing chalk or cutting up things for garage sales for six months from now making a

Craig (00:24:29):
Tracing there, there all

Lindsey (00:24:30):
These types of, of healing. And, and we have done sit spots before as well. And we do have our places. It’s normally this ornamental cherry tree to the side where the kids, if I can’t find them, they’re normally in a tree and it looks different all the time, but it looks different based on what they need.

Letter to your future self [36:39]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Continue moving forward, look back less
  • Nostalgia can be good, but don’t let it prevent you from forward progress
  • Plant a seed everyday
“ Don't let the weight of your memories and nostalgia drag you down because you won't be able to make the movement that you need to underneath all this weight. Remember to take time to do the things that you enjoy because you enjoy them. And not because you think that the world needs to change and plant a seed every day. ”

Lindsey Kleinberg

Self care and making change [39:31]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Spent too long not caring for herself, so now thoughtful
  • Nature, outdoor time, blogging, reflection
  • Making change, self healing thoughts
  • Minimum things to do to be okay and a better human
  • Remembering how to live, not just exist

Human connection [48:16]

• Chapter’s transcript…
  • Sharing your work, making connections in person and online
  • Raising a family offline, while trying to work in the world

Books [51:50]

Billboard for the world [59:21]

Art [1:02:47]

Movers Mindset [1:07:01]

3 words [1:11:08]

(Interactive content will replace this message when viewed in the Forum.)

Craig (01:11:30):
and of course the final question, three words to describe your practice.

Lindsey (01:11:41):
Plant a seed. I think that’s just what I want to say.