Adrenaline Junkies

For a long time I considered myself calm, peaceful, methodical when I was training parkour, and was resistant to the idea that I was an adrenaline Junkie. Recently listening to a podcast about the worlds first base jumpers the dialogue around the feeling of base jumping seemed so strikingly similar to the dialogue around the feeling of practicing parkour. I had placed Base jumping squarely on the other side of the spectrum from what I did and validated that based on my feelings and experiences of calm and flow.

Now I wonder whether careful practice allows you to have just a bit of adrenaline - not so much to make you sick but enough to add clarity and enhance performance.

This is further explored in Bone Games by Rob Schultheis - which explores ideas around athletic highs and a search for the recipe of deep presence and seemingly superhuman physical expression.

Are we shamans in training? Are we junkies? Are we masters of our biochemical reactions or have we shaped a narrow environment of behavior to engage with in order to feel as though we are?

1 Like
2 Likes

ffr: R Schultheis, Bone Games on Library Thing.

1 Like

what is ffr? …

for future reference

I’m making some changes to how things are organized on this site. I’m going to make a lot more of the content public. (Interacting, posting, replying, etc will still require people to join.)

I would like to make this topic (my post, and the replies) public, but I wanted to ask first. Just hit the heart/like button on this reply if you’re ok with it becoming public.

:heart:

How do I get you (@jesse) to write more often? :smiley:

1 Like

If you figure it out let me know - I’m trying to do that for myself

How about a writing challenge? (…with no rules about having to share the writing.)

We could both, (and anyone who cares to join us of course,) commit to some set amount of time to sit down and work on writing. So it’s not about publishing, but just about sitting down and writing. I can “point” this time at some writing (more of the “behind the scenes” posts that I’ve done a few of here) which I’ve been meaning to get around to, but haven’t.

How about 15 minutes of writing, 5 days a week for 5 weeks…

• We work in pairs. (So if others want to do this, they just need to find a partner to join in.)
  • 15 minutes of time spent writing. Staring at the computer (or paper) thinking about writing counts. Nothing else is permitted during the time. (no breaks, no internet, no phone, etc. just sitting and writing/thinking about writing.) No banking; we have to do the writing each day.
  • 5 weeks, 5 days per week. We each declare up front what our writing days of the week will be for duration the entire challenge.
  • Accountability via a weekly topic. We have to post something simple like, “I did my work today,” in a weekly topic we’ll maintain here in the Forum for all to see. Everyone doing the challenge will use the same weekly topic.
  • If we miss a day, we immediately Venmo our partner a pre-arranged amount of money.

??

2 Likes

I like that - it’s pretty on the nose

Yeah, but “on the nose” isn’t always a good thing. Also, as much as I’d love to write more [to make progress on some side, writing projects] I shouldn’t be taking on anything new. :slight_smile:

What is the challenge that keeps you from writing?

Hope it’s ok to chime in, I know this is directed at @jesse but it’s some stuff that’s helped me write more these past months.

I’ve been doing a lot of writing lately for the website I’m working on and some days it’s freaking tough. Feels like everything else is so much more interesting(I.E running away from the difficult thing) or I’m stuck with some kind of inferiority complex and and asking myself if what I want to write is even worth writing.

When I can get past that stuff though I’ve found the idea you suggested is pretty helpful. Just shutting off distractions and forcing myself to write something, to get a draft out of what I think I want at the time.

Secondly not trying to be even close to perfect has been the big thing that’s ticked with me that has made it easier(I’ve gone from 10 page first drafts that were really hard to look at to 2-3 page concise explanations of what I’ve wanted this way.) I find I like to have some kind of instrumental music going on so that my mind at least has some other stimulus.

Last thing I think about is making sure what I’m writing is something I either feel passionate about or it’s been something that people I trust have suggested I write about. The latter feels a lot more difficult for me but it’s been a great practice.

2 Likes

Welcome @jereme! …holycrapofcourseyoucanchimein!

Do you separate your writing—barfing first-copy onto the page—from your editing?

…for the stuff I write daily for my blog, I usually do it in succession in the same sitting. But for anything with real weight to it, I have to do the editing in [often multiple :stuck_out_tongue: ] separate sessions.

1 Like

I think if I was writing some smaller stuff( like 1 or 2 pages) maybe I could get into it in the same day but generally since nothing I’ve started was under 5 pages (read:rambling) it’s been a multi day affair.

After the first edit I generally can do successions of edits and stuff like that but after the first bout of word vomit I like to contemplate a bit of what I wrote in my head for a day or two before I go at it again. This generally helps me hone in on the points that are important to me or shows me the direction I want to go. It kind of gives me a birds eye view of the topic before I dive back into the trees if that makes sense.

1 Like

For now, I am writing every day 630-7 - which also means sitting in front of the computer fruitlessly is OK.

What this looks like - avoidance, waking up late, sitting in front a of a screen, writing random thoughts, sitting and thinking and not wanting to interrupt the thought by writing and then forgetting what I was thinking about, maybe this is all that beautiful process.

As I collect random thoughts in my notes it feels like a daunting organizational task - which is the current challenge I’m facing

3 Likes

That’s all great!

What about writing excites you? …what do you want to create, or solve, or learn, or… ??

1 Like

The organization will take a super long time(at least it did for me). I’ve spent at least 6 months, and definitely years more than that just on trying to understand how and why to organize the different physical, technical and conceptual content that I want to share and I can only imagine you’ve got a similar mountain of information that you want to sift through.

It was pretty torturous for a while but now that I’m working a lot on the actual content I’m so happy that I laid out the organizational groundwork to feel like I had a direction I could go to.

Kind of akin to @craig ‘s suggestion, do you think a sort of writing prompt could potentially help you in your writing endeavors?

I’m really interested in “long term thought” - I feel like I’m stuck in a movie where I keep forgetting things I’ve already thought about.

2 Likes

Definitely feel you there, I’ve amusingly understood the funny comeback “I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know” with where the rabbit hole of my class programming and various writings have gone. So are you hoping that regular writing will alleviate that feeling?

What is keeping your motivation low for writing? I know for me it was the recurrent theme of self doubt. I didn’t think anything I created was good enough Or would be interesting, etc.

Once I understood this it became easier for me to circumvent the low motivation to do it. It’s still tough sometimes but most people I have looked at that write books and whatnot say it’s a pretty difficult thing anyway. :man_shrugging:

1 Like