059. Kasturi Torchia: Mental wellbeing, Esprit Concrete, and sharing

Episode summary

Kasturi_Torchia-250

Kasturi Torchia describes her role with Parkour UK, and how she came to be involved in mental wellbeing and psychology studies. She discusses her family and how they impacted her journey, before unpacking the Esprit Concrete method she has developed. Kasturi shares some of her goals and what she is working on with Esprit Concrete, and discusses the yearly Les Dames du Movement event.

Parkour UK Mental Health Lead

What is your role? Explaining the duty of care and mental health lead, what do they do. Thinking about how best to safeguard everyone’s mental health and general well being, acting as a liaison, setting up relationships

Mental health and psychology

How did you become interested and involved in it? evolving ideas around it, her own practice. difference between psychology and psychiatry. Interested in counseling psychology because it’s about trust, human element; best suited her strengths

Introduction to Parkour

Parkour met her, friend recommended (matched her with it) – Met Yao, Esprit Concrete developed organically

Family background

What lessons has your family taught you? Everything that makes who she is today: reflection, travel, always asking questions, searching for answers. Coming to realizations about the connections between herself, her family, and Esprit Concrete through having therapy herself for her doctorate.

Personal struggles

What are some current challenges? Physical struggles, dashes vs kongs. Mental challenges: idea of control, letting go, being in the moment. Both physical and mental linked.

Esprit Concrete Method

What is it, how does it work? About exploring, questioning what we know about ourselves, and matching it up with who you want to be. Acknowledging and facing resistances, vulnerabilities, understanding where your decision making comes from, and how it can inform your future. Normalizing fear, to get comfortable and used to it, to help face and overcome fears. Combination of many different types of analysis to help a person understand themselves, and understand how to grow

Scalability, transferability, and workshops

How do you make Esprit Concrete method transmittable, teach other coaches how to do it? By doing workshops, like the PK Mai workshop. Important growth, starting to put it on paper, evolving Esprit Concrete, learning how to scale it, transmit it. Workshop allowed her to gain feedback, normalize Esprit Concrete method and get exposure. Opportunities to discuss the work she’s doing, getting feedback, and continue learning. Using events to explore, learn, collaborate. The importance of sharing with others to keep pushing forward, the possibility of using Esprit Concrete method with other movement practices.

Les Dames du Movement

Explaining the event and how it’s evolving, what it will be like this year. Working to bring in different people, backgrounds, practices. Goal of community building, integrating different people, communities, skill levels.

Storytime

Wrist injury, roof gap, Williams Belle spotting/response. Important lesson: giving space, allowing people to make their own mistakes

3 words

Craig: And of course, the final question. Three words to describe your practice.

Kasturi: Who am I? I think those three words… I took my sister to an exhibition that I believe was at the British Library and it was Alice in Wonderland and I’ve always found that children’s… supposedly what’s for children. Their animations, especially at the moment are geared towards concepts that are so hard for us to understand and explain and even as somebody who’s supposed to be able to, I guess, have some way of formulating things, there are certain things that are really, really hard to describe and I think that children’s films allow us to relate to coming of age things that in retrospect we realize was so hard, but we did it through constantly just changing. So, who am I? Those three words for me, I guess is something that needs to be asked before we do anything rather than every year.

Kasturi: I set resolutions like everyone else, but I think, who am I today? Who am I now? Who was I yesterday? Those kinds of questions I find really important to normalize that we’re going to be different and manage expectations that we have of ourselves and of others and Alice in Wonderland for me was this massive journey of discovery with the most craziest of things that you could ever imagine and I’ll never forget the fat caterpillar that was just smoking there in the background making O’s and everything felt magical even though it was kind of really dark as well and lonely and scary and there was that duality of this fantastic piece of work, this fantastic book that took us somewhere else to ask the question that inherently I find is the cost of a lot of angst for everyone and a lot of my clients, so yeah.

Kasturi: I think if we can make that question as magical, as exciting and as unpredictable as Alice in Wonderland and normalize that then maybe we won’t be so scared of the answer or the lack of the answer because sometimes we don’t know and that needs to be okay I guess.

Contact and further info

Find out more about Esprit Concrete on their website, facebook, and instagram. To contact Kasturi directly, you can email her through Esprit Concrete (kasturi.torchia@espritconcrete.com) or through Parkour UK (kasturi.torchia@parkour.uk). Learn more about her work with Parkour UK here.