057. Naomi Honey: Dance, coaching, and self talk

Episode summary

Naomi_Honey-250

Naomi Honey shares her experiences learning the Brazilian dance of Forro, and how it relates to her other movement practices. She unpacks her work as a life coach; what that means, how it works, and why she loves it so much. Naomi wraps up by discussing her thoughts on her current interests, the idea of success, and self talk.

Brazilian dance

Forro – close, intimate – movement vocabulary (started from parkour) – learned in Brazil – learning the ‘follow’ part, listening and responding with the body – dancing as a ‘party sport’ – parcon – mental health, human relationships around dance

life/personal coaching

‘going through the motions instead of living more fully’ – resetting balance – allwoing yourself to energize – honored to share authenticity, hear success – coaching designed to end

Tools for people to use with themselves

meditation, WIPW session on self talk, saying these things out loud. Verbally practicing celebratory self talk, treat yourself like a child – acknowledge when you find something difficult, and celebrate TRYING it – giving yourself space to be bad at something –

What does a life coach do?

help people hit goals – framework, motivation, but also working through blocks/resistances/obstacles – moving through the block in life, not just one situation – Flytality blog, anonymous write up, connecting to others – coaching over the phone

Successful

what is success? looking at one angle, not the big picture – successful is not a finish line – distance traveled, knowing the journey – everyone has amazing successes, that aren’t celebrated

life coaching

integrating with parkour – facing fears – how to link them

Storytime

Gerlev, learning Danish, self talk

Three words to describe your practice?

Craig C: And of course, the final question, three words to describe your practice.

Naomi Honey: That’s so tough. All right. Three words to describe my practice. I would say playful. I really like to play around and have fun and have a nice time. To me, that is more important than anything else.

Naomi Honey: Enthusiastic. I’m so enthusiastic. I love moving, and that’s not just … That’s the dance as well and everything. I really, really enjoy it. Naomi Honey: went what we say to ourselves has a huge impact. And also, we think it’s completely rational and fair, and it’s not.

Craig C: And of course, the final question, three words to describe your practice.

Naomi Honey: That’s so tough. All right. Three words to describe my practice. I would say playful. I really like to play around and have fun and have a nice time. To me, that is more important than anything else.

Naomi Honey: Enthusiastic. I’m so enthusiastic. I love moving, and that’s not just … That’s the dance as well and everything. I really, really enjoy it.

3-words visualized

/v3words/e57

To learn more about our data visualization, see "3 words…" visualized