010. Matthew Poprocki: Artistry, challenges, and personal expression

Episode summary

img_mat_poprocki_250

Matthew Poprocki does what he loves. Formally a visual artist, he is now a movement artist who likes to play and overcome obstacles. He discusses the challenges he’s faced and how he rediscovered his artistic expression through Parkour.

This episode is available wherever you listen to podcasts, and can be streamed from our web site.

Patreon logo shadow 75px

Support Movers Mindset on Patreon

The best way to support the podcast is through Patreon. You can make a difference for as little as the price of a cup of coffee once a month. Every dollar helps us get into the brains of the people that you want to hear from.

Patreon.com/moversmindset

When you support Movers Mindset through Patreon you also get access to exclusive content including videos, back story, behind the scenes, and a deeper look into our Movers Mindset.

3 words

Craig: And of course, the final question. Three words to describe your practice.

Mat: So, my first word is mindful, and I particularly like this word because it makes me feel that I’m in the present moment. When I do Parkour, and I practice Parkour, I’m here. I’m now. I’m experiencing life. And to me, it’s the way of how I can live life to its fullest is by being here. And particularly, when I do different skills it heightens that self-awareness of being in the present moment.

Then my second one is being creative. I talked about a lot of this during the podcast about how I love creativity. I love being a creative being. I love creating things, and so this is very important to me. Every time I practice Parkour, I’m creating something, and I don’t forget that either. Is that I like to see it as I’m a painter, and I’m painting all over with my movements.

Then the third word I have is high. So this is a little different, but for me, it is a way of feeling. It’s my being when I’m actually practicing. Another word I was gonna use is connected or like connected to the universe. But I feel like high is a more accurate description because before I learned Parkour, I was looking for this highness in other different things. And I found it in other different things.

Craig: Substances. Right.

Mat: When people say, “Oh I like to get high.” They usually mean substances. But when I say I like to get high, it means I like that feeling of being high, of heightened awareness of reality, of being, of experiencing life. And I get that in Parkour, when I’m moving around a different object, when I’m balancing on something, or if I’m really high up. I’m high.

Craig: Literally and figuratively.

Mat: Yeah. That’s why I love to do it. That’s what I do.

Patreon logo shadow 75px

Support Movers Mindset on Patreon

The best way to support the podcast is through Patreon. You can make a difference for as little as the price of a cup of coffee once a month. Every dollar helps us get into the brains of the people that you want to hear from.

Patreon.com/moversmindset

When you support Movers Mindset through Patreon you also get access to exclusive content including videos, back story, behind the scenes, and a deeper look into our Movers Mindset.